The Duke of York has admitted to being on trial against a woman who claims to have assaulted her, US officials have said.
Virginia Giuffre is seeking damages after alleging that Andrew sexually assaulted her when she was under 18.
He categorically denies the allegations.
They are part of a civil action which is brought before the American courts.
Tuesday’s recognition was confirmed in a joint agreement that was signed by Andrew’s attorney and approved by a Manhattan federal judge before being placed on the court’s public record.
The papers were signed on Andrew’s behalf by his Los Angeles-based lawyer Andrew Brettler.
The documents were served on September 21 and Andrew has until October 29 to provide a response.
A new legal conference is scheduled for November 3.
Ms Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for repeatedly sexually assaulting her.
Ms Giuffre claims she was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein into having sex with Andrew when she was 17 and a minor under US law.
Epstein was found dead in his cell at a Manhattan federal prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial for sex trafficking.
Death was deemed to be suicide.
Ms Giuffre is seeking unspecified damages, but there is speculation the sum could run into the millions of dollars.
Court documents show lawyers for both sides spoke on September 21 and the Duke’s response time was extended.
This last point in the legal process allows a judge to be satisfied that an appropriate notice of the allegations has been given to the defendant and that he has sufficient time to respond.
At a previous legal hearing, Mr Brettler said Ms Giuffre previously reached a “settlement agreement” with Epstein in 2009 that would overturn her case.
The 2009 settlement is currently sealed.