Canford Heath is now home to thousands of residents and a thriving community.
But in the early 1950s, the area it covered was just moorland.
Poole Council purchased some of the land in 1954 and sold it to developers on the condition that the housing lots had restricted prices for private sale to address the housing shortage problem in the borough.
In November 1963, Minister for Housing and Local Government Dame Evelyn Sharp opened the show house to mark the completion of the first stage of the new South Canford Heath estate built by Ruddock and Meighan.
The first stage of the 59 house and 68 bungalow development was built in late 1964, but by 1970 five stages had been sold and 350 houses completed.
In 1966 the Mayor and Mayoress of Poole Cllr and Mrs George Drudge officially opened the Carlton Homes show home on the company’s Canford Heath property development.
All three and four bedroom properties have been designed for modern living with central heating, fitted kitchens, landscaped gardens and garages.
As the estate grew the facilities also increased with two parades of shops including Adastral Square with The Fighter Pilot pub and other community facilities including the library, community center and doctor’s office.
Local schools have been built including Canford Heath First School, Canford Heath Middle School and Ashdown Secondary School.
Our gallery above takes a look at Canford Heath and how it has evolved over the years.
What are your memories of Canford Heath?